How to prepare your house for selling it
The important moment is the photo shoot of the house. The viewings will follow shortly thereafter. It is important to ensure that your home appeals to the target group. Therefore, here are some important tips to prepare your home for sale:
- Is the house full of stuff, make sure you make it a lot more empty. Not everything has to go, really not, but if you can no longer see the house because of the things, then it is really time to clean up. Ask us for advice on what should be left and what can remain. A good tip is to rent a mobile storage for this, such as pickupbox.nl
- Make sure your entire house is completely clean. Tighten everything. Make sure that no clothes are hanging or lying, make sure that the laundry baskets are empty, that there are no loose items in sight, that the bins are empty and that all windows inside and outside are cleaned.
- Make it smell fresh. The smell of freshly baked cookies or apple pie is always welcome. Cat rid of cat smell!
- Take a good look at the plants. Are they still looking nice and lively? If they have had their best time, throw them away. A fresh flower or nice flower arrangement always works well, so feel free to put it down.
- Remove rugs to make the home more spacious and lighter.
- Do a round through the house and find and remove all spiderwebs.
- Make sure your home is as light as possible. So open the curtains and shutters. If there are things outside the windows or too close around here, remove them. Open the doors to the garden.
- Bedrooms: make all beds beautiful, sleek and neutral. So by neutral we don’t mean a bright red duvet. At most, leave an alarm clock and a night light on the bedside tables. Do not leave or hang bathrobes, slippers, pajamas, etc. Open the curtains completely.
- Children’s rooms: make the beds beautiful. Clean up the toys and center everything that cannot be stored in one fixed place. Check the floors carefully to make sure there are no toys that could fall over.
- Bathroom & Toilets: Remove the bathroom rug and any drying towels. Close the toilet lid. Empty the sink and also remove all loose shampoos and other care products from the bath and shower. Also make sure the mirrors are clean. If there is mold in the bathroom, remove it with ‘HG schimmelverwijderaar’ (=mold remover).
- Kitchen: Provide a sleek, empty and clean counter top. There may be a few things on it such as a coffee machine or a knife block, etc. but don’t overfill it! Remove the trash can and hand & tea towels.
- Garden: make sure your garden or outdoor space is neat and tidy. Discard any old junk. Spray patio tiles and garden furniture for a while, mow the grass and remove dead plants and weeds. Also use the broom and a garbage bag to get started for the entrance of your home. The front of your home and the street is the first thing viewers see of your home: the first impression!
- If you have cats or other pets, make sure they go around the block when the photos are taken.
- If you do not want people to see your photos at home during the viewing, you can remove them. Our photographer ensures that personal photos are not recognizable on Funda.
- Keep valuables and theft sensitive items out of reach during the viewings.
- Make a list of all small and unfinished jobs or maintenance in the house. A loose handrail, lights that need to be replaced, a leaking tap, holes in the wall, broken installations, etc. Solve all these points. When in doubt whether or not to do something, ask us for advice.
- And a final tip: What we want to see in your home is space. Open your home. If there is furniture in the room that splits the room, make sure they (if possible) go to the side or completely go away.